Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

The tragedy of Political Science as a discipline is that here in the Philippines, it's nothing more than a preparatory course for Law. PolSci graduates have limited career options other than proceeding to law studies, teaching or joining the ranks of the innumerable call center agents toiling in their cubicles in the most ungodly hours.

Now, the last option is not very attractive for a guy like me who's in bed by 10 pm and that rules that out. And so, as I enter my third year in college and start to ponder what would become of me after graduation the other two choices come under consideration.

That said, I never really wanted to be a lawyer. I can't bear to go back to another four years of academic torture under the Socratic mehtod to be followed through by the Bar Exams. And did I mention that the Bar is only the hardest exam in the whole history of examinations!

A teaching job at the University, on the other hand, sounds much better. Better hours, less stress and only two years of post-grad studies. In no time I'll be like those yuppies flaunting their I-pods and PSPs sipping coffee at Starbuck's.

Of course in the long-term a teaching job won't get me that far. The pay's great if I plan to live alone in a boarding house for the rest of my life but being human I also want to raise a family and buy a my own house and just settle down. Conversely, If I were a lawyer, the short-term may not sound attractive but, hell, I'll be able to afford to put my kids to college and find myself a cozy house with a home entertainment system! Perhaps we should rephrase our question: Short-term or Long Term?

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home